[rabbitmq-discuss] Publish with immediate for dynamic worker creation?

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Wed Oct 7 14:24:22 BST 2009

Robert,

Robert Raschke wrote:
> Setting the QoS prefetch-count to 1 in my workers leads to my desired
> return notification. I can then set up a new worker and requeue the work
> message. Works like a charm.

Glad to hear you got things to work. It's an interesting and novel use
of the 'immediate' flag.

An alternative approach would be to monitor the queue length (e.g. by
issuing a passive queue.declare) and create/destroy workers based on
that information. That way queues can still do queuing, which helps in
smoothing out temporary spikes.

Regards,

Matthias.