[rabbitmq-discuss] list_connections failing

David Wragg david.wragg at lshift.net
Mon Nov 9 18:05:44 GMT 2009

Tim Rosenblatt <tim at cloudspace.com> writes:
> I don't think upgrading is possible right now. We've got a deadline to show
> this project in the next few weeks, and I'm using the Bunny gem in Ruby,
> which isn't yet compatible with 1.7.0. Changing versions of Rabbit as well
> as changing the library being feels unwise at this point.
>
> For the future, in case Bunny isn't upgraded, do you have a recommended
> library for Ruby? I need the ability to publish to named queues, and
> subscribe to them.

I know nothing about Bunny, but RabbitMQ uses the same version of AMQP
(0.8) as 1.6.0 and 1.5.x did, so client libraries ought to be
compatible.  Are you sure that Bunny isn't compatible with 1.7.0?

I can understand your reluctance to upgrade in the face of a deadline,
but an number of bugs have been addressed between 1.5.x and 1.7.0, so
you should plan to upgrade when possible.

> You say that it sounds like the "prevent timeouts when server is busy". What
> defines "busy" here? Is that when the server is in the middle of something
> at the moment I run the command, and if I just run it a few more times, I'll
> eventually get through? Or is there something deeper here?

Prior to 1.7.0, rabbitmq had a second timeout on RPC calls to RabbitMQ
server processes.  For some operations, with the server under heavy
load, this timeout could be exceeded, causing intermittent failures.

However, I've looked back at the relevant change, and I see that the
old timeout was 30 seconds, which doesn't correspond to the delay of 5
seconds you describe.

David

 [][][] David Wragg       | mail: david.wragg at lshift.net
   [][] Senior Developer  | tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] LShift Ltd        | web: www.lshift.net