[rabbitmq-discuss] a possibility of AMQP/RabbitMQ extension?

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:58:37 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Igor Goryachev <igor at goryachev.org> wrote:
> Hello, everyone!
>
> I am very new to AMQP/RabbitMQ and have several (well, mostly
> newbie) questions:
>
> 0. is it safe to extend AMQP for customer needs (in such way as XMPP
> permits to do)?

I am not sure about XMPP permits *but*

1. AMQP is 'programmable' so you can set up lots of messaging
applications by customer need.

2. You can write custom routers aka "exchanges" eg for content based routing

3. RabbitMQ supports plugins, see eg
http://www.lshift.net/blog/2009/10/26/http-routing-with-rabbitmq-and-trapeze

> 1. is it possible to use AMQP broker as a sort of key-value storage
> instance? Or it seems to be a really bad idea which doesn't match
> AMQP pattern?

AMQP has destructive reads ie. 'get message', whereas with a long term
store you want non-destructive reads.  So, currently I would say No to
that.  It's an interesting idea though.

alexis