[rabbitmq-discuss] Fanout exchange not playing ball?

Rich Kim rich.kim at db.com
Mon May 18 23:36:26 BST 2009

Trial and error for me as well, or maybe we're both just slow :-)

________________________
Richard Kim
Deutsche Bank Americas
Global Banking, New York
rich.kim at db.com
P: +1 212.250.4984

Tim Perrett <tperrett at googlemail.com>
05/18/2009 06:00 PM

Rich Kim/db/dbcom at DBAmericas
cc
RabbitMQ Discuss <rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com>,
rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com
Subject
Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] Fanout exchange not playing ball?

Thanks Richard - that was just the ticket.

There does not appear to be a great deal of examples on this anywhere
- is this the case or am I just being amazingly slow? ;-)

Cheers, Tim

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Rich Kim <rich.kim at db.com> wrote:

> Taking a stab at this one, but have you setup your two listening clients
> with separate queue names? When using a fanout exchange and binding
queues
> to the exchange, when you attach the second listener to the exchange,
the
> queue name is already found, and therefore performs a NOOP. Both
listeners
> share the same queue name, and thereafter begin round-robin like
behavior.

> Create two listeners with distinct queue names, and you should see your
> expected behavior.
>
> ________________________
> Richard Kim
> Deutsche Bank Americas
> Global Banking, New York
> rich.kim at db.com
> P: +1 212.250.4984
>

> Tim Perrett <tperrett at googlemail.com>
> Sent by: rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com
>
> 05/18/2009 05:27 PM

> RabbitMQ Discuss <rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com>
> cc
> Subject
> [rabbitmq-discuss] Fanout exchange not playing ball?
>

> Hey guys,
>
> I've setup a fanout exchange and my expectation does not match the
> output... My expectation was that using a fanout exchange all
> listening clients would get all messages - however this doesn't appear
> to be the case. I started two separate instances of the same
> application and run the listeners - I then publish a message into the
> exchange, and it appears that App1 gets a message, then App2 gets
> nothing. I send another message into the queue and then App2 gets the
> message but not App1 - im a little lost how this could happen?
>
> My creation code looks like:
>
>    val ticket = channel.accessRequest("/data")
>    channel.exchangeDeclare(ticket, "mult", "topic")
>    channel.queueDeclare(ticket, "mult_queue")
>    channel.queueBind(ticket, "mult_queue", "mult", "example.*")
>    channel.basicConsume(ticket, "mult_queue", false, new
> SerializedConsumer(channel, this))
>

> Any ideas / suggestions?
>
> Cheers, Tim

> ---
> This communication may contain confidential and/or privileged
information.
> If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this
communication
> in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this
> communication. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of
the
> material in this communication is strictly forbidden.
>
> Deutsche Bank does not render legal or tax advice, and the information
> contained in this communication should not be regarded as such.

---