[rabbitmq-discuss] Does erlang client tip work with server tip?

Keith Irwin keith.irwin at gmail.com
Mon May 18 18:31:38 BST 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Matthias Radestock
<matthias at lshift.net> wrote:
> Keith,
>
> Keith Irwin wrote:
>>
>>  cd Rabbits
>>  hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server
>>  hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen
>>  cd rabbitmq-server
>>  make
>>  cd ebin
>>  erl -boot start_sasl -s rabbit
>>
>> and as far as I can tell, the app starts up just fine. I even tried
>> appmon:start() to see all the processes and applications. Looks good
>> to me!
>
> That doesn't work for me. There are a whole bunch of additional parameters
> required, such as the node name and the mnesia dir.

Hi!

Actually, I just tested this and it does work, interestingly. The
mnesia db gets created just fine right in amongst the beam files, and
the node name doesn't seem to matter unless you're in cluster mode,
right? At any rate, I was able to get some code working both starting
the service interactively (as above), and by using the proper
rabbitmq-server script.

I'm quite happy about this, actually. It at least leads to the
possibility that one could "embed" rabbitmq in your client if only to
create a temporary broker for unit testing.

> That is due to a bug in the tests we fixed a while ago but that hasn't been
> qa'ed and merged into 'default' yet. Try the bug20444 branch (e.g. hg up -C
> bug20444).
>
> Alternatively, the v1_5 branch works, i.e. try
>  (cd rabbitmq-codegen; hg up -C v1_5)
>  (cd rabbitmq-server; hg up -C v1_5; make clean all)
>  (cd rabbitmq-erlang-client; hg up -C v1_5; make)
> and then
>   cd rabbitmq-server; make run
> and
>   cd rabbitmq-erlang-client; make test_network

Thanks for this info. I scratched around HG for a bit and couldn't
immediately see how to get a specific branch, or check out to a
specific revision. I did manage to get the 1.5 client going, though,
and that solved my problems.  (I'm a bzr user, mainly.)

Keith