[rabbitmq-discuss] Does erlang client tip work with server tip?

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Mon May 18 07:29:55 BST 2009

Keith,

Keith Irwin wrote:
>   cd Rabbits
>   hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server
>   hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen
>   cd rabbitmq-server
>   make
>   cd ebin
>   erl -boot start_sasl -s rabbit
>
> and as far as I can tell, the app starts up just fine. I even tried
> appmon:start() to see all the processes and applications. Looks good
> to me!

That doesn't work for me. There are a whole bunch of additional
parameters required, such as the node name and the mnesia dir.

You really should use the startup script in scripts/rabbitmq-server, e.g.
  RABBITMQ_LOG_BASE=/tmp RABBITMQ_MNESIA_BASE=/tmp scripts/rabbitmq-server

You can also just type 'make run'.

> Then:
>   cd Rabbits
>   hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-erlang-client/
>   make
>   make test_network
>
> and I get the error:
>
>   erl -pa ebin rabbitmq_server/ebin -noshell -eval
> 'network_client_test:test(),halt().'
>   network_client_test: basic_qos_test...*timed out*
>   undefined
>   =======================================================
>     Failed: 0.  Skipped: 0.  Passed: 2.
>   One or more tests were cancelled.

That is due to a bug in the tests we fixed a while ago but that hasn't
been qa'ed and merged into 'default' yet. Try the bug20444 branch (e.g.
hg up -C bug20444).

Alternatively, the v1_5 branch works, i.e. try
   (cd rabbitmq-codegen; hg up -C v1_5)
   (cd rabbitmq-server; hg up -C v1_5; make clean all)
   (cd rabbitmq-erlang-client; hg up -C v1_5; make)
and then
    cd rabbitmq-server; make run
and
    cd rabbitmq-erlang-client; make test_network

Regards,

Matthias.