[rabbitmq-discuss] Flow Control in RabbitMQ 1.5.3

Chris Pettitt cpettitt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 23:36:19 BST 2009

Hi all,

I found that Solaris continued to crash regardless of what settings I
used for the high watermark. As memsup on Solaris was questionable I
moved to Linux.

I moved to a Quad core CentOS box with 9 GB of memory. Unfortunately,
I'm seeing similar crashes, though they take longer to occur.

What I'm seeing is usually some variation of the following:

1. Start broker clean
2. Start 1 consumer
3. Start 10 producers that publish as fast as they can (we're trying
to stress the system)
4. Once system memory reaches the high water mark throttling occurs
(I've tried settings from about 40% - 95%, the rest of the
observations will refer to measurements at 70%).
5. Throttling toggles on and off a few times, between 3 - 5 times, and
then all clients (including the consumer) get disconnected.
6. Memory sores to over 90%.
6. Sometimes the erlang process crashes at this point, other times all
producers and consumers reconnect and within about 30 seconds the
erlang process crashes. In most cases the producers never produce
after the reconnect, but on some occasions the consumer does receive
messages before dying.

I understand that this is pretty excessive in terms of stress.
However, without going into details, it is very important that I
demonstrate that RabbitMQ degrades gracefully under high load.

On a more positive note, I'm seeing RabbitMQ outperform my current JMS
provider by a factor of ~15x on Solaris!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris