[rabbitmq-discuss] max amount of persisted data

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Tue Mar 17 11:04:30 GMT 2009

Matthias Radestock wrote:
> tsuraan wrote:
>> Would replacing the queue currently used for unacked_message_q in
>> rabbit_channel.erl with a queue that overflows to a tempfile be
>> sufficient to resolve this?
>
> The short answer is 'no'.

:-) Or, seen another way, "yes". It's a start. It'd work for when
non-persistent messages were being sent through the broker. We already
have experimental code doing most of this, similar I suppose to the code
you have -- but it's not ready even for experimentation at the moment.

The full solution needs to carefully balance three interacting components:

 - persistent storage of messages
 - the memory needs of the queue-data-structure of messages in each
   AMQP-queue
 - TX-class transactions

Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net