[rabbitmq-discuss] application keeps crashing

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:14:50 GMT 2009

Matt,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Matt George <matt.george at myemma.com> wrote:
> We had another crash over the weekend and I saw some stuff in the logs this
> time that I thought might help so I am attaching them with this email.

OK, the sasl log shows the original symptom where the rabbit_config
table doesn't exist. Is this on the same environment as the previous
occurences? You said that you were unable to reproduce this on your
development environment. I am wondering if the underlying mnesia
tables are somehow being deleted. If you could do a fresh installation
of 1.5.3 on the particular environment that is giving you grief, maybe
you will be able to reproduce this issue.

> One
> of the things that I noticed was that it looks like somehow the connections
> seem to be opening but not closing for some time.

This is not an issue. As AMQP is a connection orientated protocol,
connections can last a long time.

> I am using the pyamqplib
> library to make my connections. From the rabbitmq standpoint, is it better
> to keep a connection open, or to get a new connection for every message?

The former, as that is what the protocol is designed to do. However,
we have been able to maintain 20000 concurrent connections to a single
instance (before getting bored), so it would be pretty hard to
overload it.

Looking at the normal log, you have a few thousand standard entries
that document clients connecting and disconnecting.

Towards the back end of the log file (at about 21:19:56 on 8/3/09) you
have a lot of  connection_closed_abruptly errors in the log. This is
usually the result of the client resetting the socket without
observing the AMQP shutdown protocol (in plain english, it looks as if
a number of clients have just died). Are you sure that the Rabbit
instance has become unavailable at this point? Do you have another
client to test this with?

Ben