[rabbitmq-discuss] Erlang client problems again

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:34:23 GMT 2009

Dave,

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Dave Bryson <daveb at miceda.org> wrote:
> I had a problem in the past with the Erlang client timing out and
> never connecting.  With some help on the list from another user I was
> able to get it to work by synching the exact version of the client and
> rabbitmq from the source in mercurial. Now I'm trying the latest
> server 1.5.3 and the latest version of the client and I'm having the
> same exact problem again: network test times out on the first basic
> test and if I try making my own connection "lib_amqp:start_connection"
> it just hangs.
>
> I see a lot of activity on the erlang client in source control and
> knowing the client uses code from the server I'm curious why it just
> "doesn't work".  Is anyone using the erlang client with the latest
> rabbitmq server (1.5.3)?  What version of the server are the client
> developers testing against?

In general

hg up -C default

for both the client and the server will do the trick.

This is because the default branch of Rabbit differs quite a bit from
the 1.5.x series, i.e. the default branch contains a lot of new
features (and internal API changes) that will be released in 1.6.0,
whereas 1.5.3 is a maintenance release that does not include any new
features.

When the Erlang client is released, specific client and server
versions will be locked down. Until then, we will always sync the
default branches of both trees.

Having just that I've just run the test suite with the latest
respective trees and have noticed that the QOS test breaks the suite
because it internally waits 15 secs to do what it has to do, but eunit
times out after 5 seconds :-( Need to fix this, obviously.

HTH,

Ben