[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering Question

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Jun 9 12:02:19 BST 2009

Jason,

Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> My wording is a bit sloppy. :-) My consumer recreated the queue on
> reconnect. Then when Node A came up, it saw the queue already existed
> and didn't replay into it.

I have just tested this (on 1.5.5 and default, but I am pretty sure it
would work the same on any 1.5.x version):

1) create a two-node cluster - with nodes 'rabbit' and 'hare'
2) connect to 'hare', declare a durable queue 'foo', and send a
persistent message to it
3) shut down 'hare'
4) connect to 'rabbit', declare a durable queue 'foo', and send a
persistent message to it
5) restart 'hare'
6) run 'rabbitmqctl list_queues'

The last step shows a queue 'foo' with two messages, indicating that the
message which was sent to the queue on 'hare' got requeued in the new
queue on 'rabbit' when 'hare' recovered.

Whether or not that is the right thing to do is debatable, but it's
certainly not obviously broken.

Matthias.