[rabbitmq-discuss] Messages Timeout in Queue

GAGAN ARORA gaganarora.itm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 20:28:02 BST 2009

Hi Alexis

My system is similar to an IM system and is using RabbitMQ for presence
updates and have designed it in such a way that a consumer subscribes to a
queue only when it comes online.Now the issue is as stated by you there will
be a large no of messages ready to be deleivered when a user comes online.
Checking timestamp for each message will result in high cost.

There can be a solution in which a message can be published using immediate
flag. But it is desired by consumer to get all messages which are less than
1 minute old.

Can you suggest some other solution for achieving this?

Thanks
Gagan Arora