[rabbitmq-discuss] Messages Timeout in Queue

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 11:02:41 BST 2009

Gagan,

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM, GAGAN ARORA<gaganarora.itm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexis
> The problem statement here is I dont want my messages in queue for more than
> 1 minute.

The easiest way to do this is for the client to keep consuming the
messages from the queue.

However: presumably you want messages to be ignored in the case where
(a) there is no consumer to get the messages from the queue; and (b)
the messages are more than one minute old.

If so then: Have you considered putting a timestamp on the messages?
That way, when a consumer starts taking messages from the queue, it
can simply check the timestamps and throw away anything 'old'.  This
solution works just fine when (i) you don't need real time accuracy
ie. "about a minute" is just as good as "exactly a minute", and
provided that (ii) there aren't too many messages to throw away.
Judging by the document that you sent, both (i) and (ii) are true.

Does this help?

alexis