[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq 1.5.1-1 from debian pool fails to start

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Fri Jan 30 10:03:52 GMT 2009

Christopher,

christopher hoover wrote:
> I tried running the /etc/init.d/rabbitmq steps by hand.  Almost by accident,
> I discovered that rabbitmq would start properly with rabbitmq's home
> (/var/lib/rabbitmq) as cwd, but would fail with / or even /tmp as cwd.
>
> Editing /etc/init.d/rabbitmq to tweak the chdir to /var/lib/rabbitmq makes
> it work fine.

Just to be clear, you changed /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server:28 from
   cd /
   cd /var/lib/rabbitmq
and then ran
   sudo /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start
which now started rabbitmq successfully whereas previously it resulted
in the "register/listen error" you reported?

If so, there are a few more things to check:

1) run
   sudo getent passwd rabbitmq
which should print out something like
   rabbitmq:x:116:119:Rabbit AMQP Messaging
Server:/var/lib/rabbitmq:/bin/false

2) run
   sudo su rabbitmq -s /bin/sh -c "erl -sname test"
and at the prompt enter
   init:get_argument(home).
which should display
   {ok,[["/var/lib/rabbitmq"]]}

3) revert your change to /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server:28 and instead add
the line
   PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
just after the initial comments (i.e. on line 11) and then attempt to
start rabbit in the usual way, i.e. by running
   sudo /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start
The line in question is the only line that has changed in the startup
scripts between 1.5.0 and 1.5.1. I cannot see how it would make a
difference, but it's worth a try.

Matthias.