[rabbitmq-discuss] adjusting timeout for non-acked messages to be requeued

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:48:25 GMT 2009

Vishnu

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:37 AM, vishnu <pathsny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>     I'm trying to use rabbitmq for an web application thats close to
> synchronous. The main reason I'm looking at rabbitmq is for the reliability
> and transactionality. The idea is for the webapplication to pump messages
> into the queue and for a down stream application to subscribe in
> acknowledgement mode and for each message start a transaction, attempt to
> process the message and if it fails for technical reasons, to rollback the
> transaction.

OK.

> However, I would like to be able to configure the time for non-acked
> messages to get requeued to be picked up. Where can this be done?

This and other 'time based' behaviours are frequently requested, but
*alas* are not yet built-in to RabbitMQ.

However, don't give up.  You could create a consumer (in any language)
which managed this for you, eg enforcing a disconnect after some time
has passed.  Or, if you are feeling brave you could create a plugin to
do this 'inside the broker'.  Plugins have to be written in erlang.

I hope that helps.  Perhaps the list will have more immediately useful
suggestions.

Cheers,

alexis