[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-c versus MSYS

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Aug 29 13:41:27 BST 2009

Michael Nacos wrote:
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `codegen/amqp-0.8.json', needed by
> `amqp_framing.h'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Projects/rabbitmq-c/librabbitmq'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Projects/rabbitmq-c'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> then again, there is no python support in MSYS. IYO, what would be the
> best way forward?

Have you tried installing ActiveState Python?

In the old XORP world order, we shipped a set of Windows binaries for
routing processes built under MSYS. The RPC stubs in the tree were
generated with Python, and we used to check them in directly.

There can be some subtle path issues with MSYS, because whilst it
supports a UNIX-like development environment, all binaries are in fact
invoked via the usual Win32 command line subsystem mechanisms.

In practice this usually isn't an issue, providing the tool(s) are in
your PATH, and/or scripts/builders invoked directly by the MinGW port of
GNU Make use the #!/usr/bin/env construct.

We found it *was* an issue where child processes were expected to be run
under an MSYS bash shell, as the MSYS runtime tries to deal with
situations where DOS-style, NT/UNC-style and UNIX-style paths are mixed.
As you probably already know, GNU Make will try to use bash wherever it can.

You might want to have a look at the legacy build notes for XORP:

http://xorp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xorp/trunk/xorp/BUILD_NOTES?revision=11305&view=markup

We have since moved away from GNU Autotools to SCons, which is
significantly better in a number of ways; tedious regeneration of the
build glue is not needed every time an incremental change is made.

thanks,
BMS