[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Erlang API questions

Lev Walkin vlm at lionet.info
Fri Apr 10 14:05:10 BST 2009

Matthias Radestock wrote:
> Lev,
>
> Lev Walkin wrote:
>> By the way, you might want to update the web site to specify the hg
>> branch name for those wishing to use erlang client library against the
>> officially released code.
>
> I think the instructions at http://www.rabbitmq.com/mercurial.html cover
> that, don't they?

1. There is no mentioning that the erlang client branch should match the
server version.

2. There is no information that despite the requirement that client
branch must somehow "correspond" to the server branch, there is no
v1_5_4 branch in the erlang client. The client only has v1_5 tag, no
v1_5_[34].

3. There is no clear indication that in order to use -1.5.4 server, the
client should be checked out using v1_5 branch.

And so on. A few subtle things you take for granted generate unrest in
first time users who can't get their erlang clients to work the first
time. Telling you from my first hand experience.

Thanks for the product, though! It is very neat once you get it to work.

--
Lev Walkin
vlm at lionet.info