[rabbitmq-discuss] performance

Martin Sustrik sustrik at imatix.com
Mon Sep 1 21:09:47 BST 2008

Just few hints:

1. Measuring maximal throughput is tricky for various reasons, queueing
being only one of them. There are statistical and methodological
problems like hidden average, non-stability of the metric etc. However,
simple way to get *some* results is to run the tests with publisher
publishing messages at various rates. Maximal rate where latency doesn't
increase ad infinitum can be considered "maximal throughput".

2. 380,000 256-byte messages a second is a nice result, however, it
doesn't tell much about the messaging system. It simply means that the
system is able to exhaust 1GbE with messages 256 bytes long. To get more
interesting results, test should be run with smaller messages
(preferably 0 or 1 bytes long) where processing power will be the
bottleneck rather than the networking infrastructure.

HTH.
Martin