[rabbitmq-discuss] performance

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Mon Sep 1 15:13:14 BST 2008

Michael,

Mayne, Michael wrote:

> Red has produced a paper recently (June 2008) explaining its performance
> testing lab that it did recently to show how optimised Red Hat on Intel
> Xeon hardware can process very high message rates:
> http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/mrg/Reference_Architecture_MRG_Messaging_Thr
> oughput.pdf
>
> This paper was presented at an Intel FasterCITY - fasterMESSAGING event
> in London on 23 June.
> http://www.intelfasterfs.com/fastermessaging/
> It contains a description of the test bench it used to generate its
> figures - which were a repeatable ingress rate of 380,000 (256 byte)
> messages per second. There is obviously a lot more to it - see the paper
> for details.
>
> That could be a starter for ten.

I am familiar with that report. The tests conducted are pretty similar
to the ones we did with Intel last year and earlier this year (see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/resources/AMQP_Solution_Brief_final.pdf).

Unfortunately the test setup - "producers reliably en-queues messages
onto the broker as fast as they can, consumers reliably de-queue
messages from the broker as fast as they can" - isn't addressing the key
problem I described, namely controlling and adapting the ingress rate in
order to maximise throughput.

Matthias.