[rabbitmq-discuss] UPDATE: Re: Running RabbitMQ as a Windows Service - Having some problems

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Mon Sep 1 15:29:20 BST 2008

Eran,

Eran Sandler wrote:
> When I run "rabbitmqctl status" I get the following error in the log:
>
> ** Connection attempt from disallowed node rabbitmqctl at yeddaweb7 **
>

> Can it be a permissions problem of some kind? RabbitMQ's process runs
> under the Local system account while the process of rabbitmqctl runs
> under a local user.

Erlang uses cookies to control which nodes are allowed to connect to
each other. The cookie file lives in the user's home directory in the
file .erlang.cookie.

Since in your setup the rabbitmqctl command is run by a different user
than the RabbitMQ server, you need to either make the contents of the
.erlang.cookie files the same or use the -setcookie <cookie> parameter
to erl.exe to set the cookie explicitly.

Regards,

Matthias.