[rabbitmq-discuss] Exchanges, Routing, and AMQP

Peter Silva Peter.A.Silva at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 11:48:18 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Ben Hood <0x6e6562 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Peter Silva <Peter.A.Silva at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I would really appreciate someone who understands switching having a look
> at
> > our switch.  We've only used it internally so far, but I whipped up some
> > .deb's in honour of your request:
>
> I don't know If I'm the best qualified person to do this. Due to the
> fact however that I have a large backlog of Rabbit specific items to
> get through, this will have to be appended to that queue, so I won't
> be able to look at this straight away. You might get a response from
> somebody else on the list, hence why I forwarded this mail.

um... ok...
I guess one should't say 'show me the code' if one isn't prepared to look at
it.  OTOH, being presented with the whole pile is a bit much to chew off...
maybe it can be easier...

if you install the package (It doesn't run by default) and do a man of
pxReceiver, there is a section 'PRODUCT ROUTING OPTIONS' which describes the
algorithm from the AMQP 'exchange' point of view in a paragraph or two.   In
the pxSender man page, there is an analogous section, called 'PRODUCT
SELECTION OPTIONS' which is two paragraphs.    The code implements what is
in the two sections, and that's all.

but hey, this is a rabbit list, I only brought it up in order to share
impressions about how the bindings are defined in AMQP.

> > The reason for me asking these questions is to understand how to add AMQP
> > support to metpx.
>
> Are you more interested in implementing some form of the AMQP
> model/codec in metpx or are you interested in being a consumer of AMQP
> (e.g. via Rabbit)?

I'm hoping one of my developers can do a producer to speak to rabbit.   I
would send a single, un-differentiated product stream, and pilot having a
few clients (internal first, external later) use the consumer of their
choice to acquire the messages.   I have a business need that no other
package (including metpx) currently fills, that rabbit seems, at first
blush, perfect for.

It is likely that we have to implement a consumer just to test the sender
with metpx.   Adding amqp service/broker functions doesn't seem like much of
a stretch, but there isn't a business case right now (rabbit exists!)  just
use what's there for what it's good for.

What could be in it for rabbit...
Does rabbit want some protocol drivers?  We have solid ones for FTP and
SFTP. I doubt you'd be interested in the others...  similarly to the way I
was looking at using rabbit to provide functionality that isn't in metpx.
rabbit might just want to use metpx as a realy sympathetic protocol driver.
  Just looking for win-win... ymmv.

> If the former is the case, then maybe approaching the AMQP working
> group might prove more fruitful that speaking to an implementer of
> AMQP.

I would, except when I went to the AMQP lists I could see, they were dead.
maybe I didn't find the right ones.  The action seems to be over here, plus
the whole routing thing was just an aside from reading the above, my aim is
what was described above.