[rabbitmq-discuss] Connecting over a highly unreliable connection

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Nov 11 15:44:04 GMT 2008

Gavin,

Gavin Bong wrote:
> In any case, what's the actual definition of the heartbeat parameter ?
> Does it mean that we expect some packets to roundtrip or replies to
> come back in that duration ?

Here is the current draft of the heartbeat logic taken from the upcoming
AMQP 0-9-1 spec:

<quote>

Heartbeat frames tell the recipient that the sender is still alive.  The
rate and timing of heartbeat frames is negotiated during connection tuning.

Guidelines for implementers:
- Heartbeat frames MUST have a channel number of zero.  A peer that
receives an invalid heartbeat frame MUST raise a connection exception
with reply code 501 (frame error).

- If the peer does not support heartbeating it MUST discard the
heartbeat frame without signalling any error or fault.

- The client should start sending heartbeats after receiving a
Connection.Tune method, and start monitoring heartbeats after receiving
Connection.Open.  The server should start sending and monitoring
heartbeats after receiving Connection.Tune-Ok.

- The peer should make a best effort to send heartbeats at specified
intervals. Heartbeats can be sent at any time. Any sent octet is a valid
substitute for a heartbeat, thus heartbeats only have to be sent if no
non-heartbeat AMQP traffic is sent for longer than one heartbeat
interval. If a peer detects no incoming traffic (i.e. received octets)
for two heartbeat intervals or longer, it should close the connection
without following the Connection.Close/Close-Ok handshaking, and log an
error.

- Heartbeating should continue until the connection socket is closed,
including during and after Connection.Close/Close-Ok handshaking.

</quote>

HTH,

Matthias.