[rabbitmq-discuss] Connecting over a highly unreliable connection

Gavin Bong vinorasmus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:25:55 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a rabbitmq server on a line that has 30% drop
packets and average ping times of around 350ms.

I get successfull connections in 6 our of 10 consecutive tries. And I
get a few missed heartbeat exceptions.

Is there a rule of thumb of how to set the heartbeat ? Currently it is
set to the default, which is 3 seconds.
In any case, what's the actual definition of the heartbeat parameter ?
Does it mean that we expect some packets to roundtrip or replies to
come back in that duration ?

Thanks

Gavin