[rabbitmq-discuss] Errors using Windows .NET Client Library

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Sun Mar 30 09:17:50 BST 2008

Bill,

Bill Chikirivao wrote:
> If I make code changes such that I change the protocol to AMQP_0_8 in my
> app.config file and then set the protocol as
> Protocols.FromConfiguration("my-protocol");
> Then I am able to connect and I don't get the same exception.  Is this
> the expected behavior?

Yes, that is the expected behaviour. Note that you can switch protocols
without changing the code by setting the AMQP_PROTOCOL environment
variable, e.g. run the examples like this
   AMQP_PROTOCOL=AMQP_0_8 ./bin/ExampleProgram.exe

> and further does the RabbitMQ server only support AMQP 0-8?

Correct. 0-9 support is under development.

> And if the examples are primarily targeted for
> RabbitMQ then why have the default to AMQP 0-9 such that you have to
> explicitly change the protocol to 0-8 when running against RabbitMQ?

The .NET client was actually developed with a different broker as the
primary target. Your point is valid though; we should change the default
to whatever protocol is supported by the latest version of the RabbitMQ
broker.

Matthias.