[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq dying

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 00:10:36 BST 2008

Dave,

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:23 PM,  <David.Corcoran at edftrading.com> wrote:
> I can't give you a simple test case now but I might be able to put one
> together. RabbitMQ only dies about every week so it's hard to reproduce.
> They way our code works is that a server sends up to 50,000 jobs (messages)
> to a job queue. There are 40 consumers that read the jobs and process them
> and send the results back to a temporary reply queue. So, no exchanges and
> just 1 queue. If several people are using the same instance of RabbitMq,
> which might happen, there might be a few queues but no more than 8 or so.

>From what you describe, this shouldn't really be an issue for Rabbit.
50K messages should not really be a problem, so it would be good to be
able to recreate this. I will try to write a test scenario to try to
provoke this, but the more input I get the better in helping me
reproduce this.

> You're right about the clients, when we restart them we do it through a
> kill -9 so they don't disconnect gracefully. It may seem strange but the
> clients are stateless and lightweight and we've always killed them through
> a kill -9.

There is a *nicer* way to shut a client down, but at the end of the
day, the server *should* be able to handle any type of behaviour from
a client.

HTH,

Ben