[rabbitmq-discuss] [Fwd: Regarding Permission filters alongwith RabbitMQ]

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 23:31:31 BST 2008

Abhishek,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:43 PM,  <abhishek at reloadnyc.com> wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Thank you very much for writing.
>
> The idea is to provide some kind of message authorizing before passing it
> to the RabbitMQ system for routing. That authorizing policy acts on all
> the messages. Say, a message doesn't meet the necessary  permissions, in
> that case it may be disallowed to pass through and no need to route it.
> Similarly, another functionality can be to add/delete similar filters in
> the future.

With respect to permissions, AMQP has the concept of ACL based on
vhost, which you can configure on a per user basis and update as you
go along.

If you do not have the necessary permissions, you cannot start a
connection to the broker.

This may be a bit too coarse grained for you though.

> Can you suggest something in this regard like Mule, Synapse etc., which
> can serve our purpose.

I'm reasonably confident that Mule can offer some content based
routing that may be more applicable to your application.

Because AMQP would merely be a transport in Mule, you'd have to refer
to the Mule manual for this.

BTW, it is always a better idea to post to the Rabbit list, because
you can reach the entire subscription base who may have already solved
your problem.

>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Ben Hood <ben at lshift.net> wrote:
>>> Can you please suggest one thing. We need to have an abstraction layer
>>> between the publishers and the RabbitMQ server i.e. a message processor
>>> sitting between the publisher and the RabbitMQ server that receives the
>>> message from the publisher, checks for certain permissions/tags and then
>>> forwards the message to the RabbitMQ system. Is there any ESB or
>>> mediation
>>> router that can be integrated with RabbitMQ and that can provide the
>>> filtering functionality, like Mule or Apache Synapse?
>>
>> Do you have any more detailed requirements about how things get
>> routed, e.g. what happens to messages that don't match a particular
>> condition.
>>
>> This may help in making a suggestion.
>>
>> BTW, at the core of Rabbit is a generic message routing mechanism
>> (binding queues to exchanges using patterns). This may be of interest
>> for this use case.

Ben