[rabbitmq-discuss] Check Queues Exist on Publish (and Read?)

Patrick Long pat at munkiisoft.com
Tue May 27 14:17:29 BST 2014

RabbitMQ 3.2.4
ErLang R16B02

Using BasicPublish and BasicGet

I made some changes to how we use RabbitMQ recently that included only
checking that queues and exchanges existed when we Publish. I did this for
performance reasons.

On the whole the 5 queues we use will exist in production due to having had
messages published.

However in test environments that is not always there. The Windows Service
we have that reads messages (BasicGet) is configured to Read from all 5
queues.

If the queue is not there i get a soft error.
=ERROR REPORT==== 23-May-2014::16:21:32 ===
connection <0.12152.0>, channel 12 - *soft error*:
*{amqp_error,not_found,*
            "no queue 'Work_3.0.0185.01_Normal' in vhost 's2_stackatf'",
            'basic.get'}

1. Is there a way to tell RabbitMQ to chill out about queues not being
found?

2. Is my performance tweak worth it? Should I just be checking and creating
a queue before trying to read from it?

Thanks

Pat

--