[rabbitmq-discuss] Memory leak in STOMP connector or federation?

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Wed May 21 14:02:13 BST 2014

On May 21, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Michael Klishin <mklishin at gopivotal.com> wrote:

> On 21 May 2014 at 16:20:29, Tomas Doran (bobtfish at bobtfish.net) wrote:
>>> I’d expect it to be at ~ 100Mb after 6-8 hours. It’s sloooow. :(
>>
>> I’m seeing _much faster_ leak rates in production (probably
>> due to the fact I have 400+ clients, not 10).
>
> OK, can you tell me how I can increase the # of mcollectives in the VM
> to 100 (or however many is realistic to run in a 2-4 GB VM)?

https://github.com/bobtfish/rabbitmq-leak/blob/master/manifests/site.pp#L1

That’s the number of servers (listening for requests, and replying)

https://github.com/bobtfish/rabbitmq-leak/blob/master/manifests/site.pp#L2

That’s the number of clients doing a message to all servers (and getting a reply from each) in a while (true) type loop.

> I'm a Chef guy, so unfortunately I know next to nothing about Puppet. Is there
> an attribute I can set via Vagrantfile?

No sweat, sorry for not making that more clear in the README

> Have you tried inspecting memory breakdown via sudo rabbitmqctl status
> to see what section grows fastest/largest?

Yes - the ‘binary’ section is what appears to be growing (I think I initially attached a server_report.txt from a prod server at the start of this thread where it had grown _massive_?)

Another (from a VM as above, with a more modest leak) is attached:

Initial Memory: 35 MB
Memory after 17 Hours running: 90 MB

Cheers
Tom