[rabbitmq-discuss] Exclusive queues and mirroring

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sun Mar 9 08:08:58 GMT 2014

Jon,

On 09/03/14 00:01, Jonathan Holland wrote:
> I was thinking for some reason that if queues were not mirrored, a
> message published by a channel on the other node would not arrive,
> but I think it would.

Yes, indeed it would.

It is a common misunderstanding that mirroring is required in order for
clients to interact with the same queues when connecting to different
nodes in a cluster.

I *think* the second paragraph in
https://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html makes it pretty clear that is
not the case, but let us know if you have any suggestions on how to
improve the wording there or elsewhere.

> Since our use case requires a temporary queue for each consumer, we
> don't need mirroring, just a cluster for fault tolerance. A node
> failure would cause the clients to reconnect and end up on the
> healthy node with new queues. There would be message loss, but
> that's ok in our usecase.

Yep, that is a fairly typical setup.

Matthias.