[rabbitmq-discuss] TUTORIAL FEEDBACK: Queue binding could use a little more clarification?

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Wed Jun 25 18:17:54 BST 2014

On 25 June 2014 at 21:13:28, ed.tramell at gmail.com (ed.tramell at gmail.com) wrote:
> > I'm not sure exactly how you could prevent this mental block
> for others in the future. One possibility is to add a subtle clue
> to your images: just a simple vertical dotted line just to the
> right of the dark blue exchange oval (see attached example).
> It's hard to know now that I understand it, but that subtle separation
> might have been enough to make it more immediately obvious for
> me. Or maybe just a sentence somewhere like, "Binding happens
> on the consumer side, not the producer side" somewhere prominent
> (maybe you already say that somewhere, but if so, I missed it).

We have a similar image on
http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/amqp-concepts.html

I honestly don't think it will make it any clearer w.r.t. bindings.
Also, technically it's not necessary that a consumer does the binding.
Any app can do it, it's just that the code that consumes messages has more
information about queues. We may mention that it is more common for
consuming services to do the binding.

By the way, RabbitMQ mailing list has a new home:
https://groups.google.com/group/rabbitmq-users

Please post your future questions and bug reports there :)
--
MK