[rabbitmq-discuss] TUTORIAL FEEDBACK: Queue binding could use a little more clarification?

ed.tramell at gmail.com ed.tramell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 17:28:42 BST 2014

Hi,

First, my point of view:  I am a complete message queuing noob.  Others in
my organization have worked with RabbitMQ before, but they have moved on
and I have inherited their work.

I found the tutorials (e.g.
http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-four-java.html) to be a
tremendous help.  However, as a noob, I found myself very confused about
queue binding.  The examples (like orange/black/green) made sense
logically, but I wasted (er, invested) a lot of time trying to understand
how one would bind an exchange to a queue with a routing key *from the
producer side*.  Eventually, the light bulb came on for me and now it is
obvious to me that the binding happens on the consumer side, not the
producer side (duh!).  But at the time, the diagrams seemed to show the
bindings on the producer side, so that's where I kept thinking they'd get
created.  And of course, that made no sense.

I'm not sure exactly how you could prevent this mental block for others in
the future.  One possibility is to add a subtle clue to your images:  just
a simple vertical dotted line just to the right of the dark blue exchange
oval (see attached example).  It's hard to know now that I understand it,
but that subtle separation might have been enough to make it more
immediately obvious for me.  Or maybe just a sentence somewhere like,
"Binding happens on the consumer side, not the producer side" somewhere
prominent (maybe you already say that somewhere, but if so, I missed it).

Maybe I'm the only one that was tripped up by this, but maybe not.  Just
some feedback for you.

Thanks,
Ed