[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ sometimes does not show messages_ready

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jun 25 13:05:56 BST 2014

Hmmm, that does sound like

25872 prevent empty queues from showing length as '?' after going idle
       (since 3.1.0)

from http://www.rabbitmq.com/release-notes/README-3.2.2.txt

...although it doesn't seem to be showing '?' in your case.

If it is that bug then the queues will stop showing lengths if they a)
are empty and b) haven't done anything in an hour.

"anything" there is quite strictly defined - even replying to
"rabbitmqctl list_queues" will wake them enough to untrigger the bug. So
you could try that too.

Cheers, Simon

On 25/06/14 12:51, Malte Hurrelmann wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I recently came across a strange behaviour when asking RabbitMQ (version
> 3.1.5) for the number of messages in each queue.
>
> Normally it all works fine and the usual ways:
> - REST-api's key 'messages_ready'
> - management-console's 'ready'-column and
> - 'rabbitmqctl list_queues'
>
> all return the expected number of messages for each queue.
> But every now and then this information is just missing for most of the
> queues. It will return after some time by itself (I saw times up to one
> hour, but it may be even more) but as I wrote some scripts that depend
> on the REST-api, this behaviour is somewhat annoying.
>
> Is this a known issue? I looked through the bugfix-sections of each
> newer release but could not find an entry where this issue was fixed.
>
> Best regards,
> Malte.

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal