[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ sometimes does not show messages_ready

Malte Hurrelmann huitrouge at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 12:51:25 BST 2014

Hi there,

I recently came across a strange behaviour when asking RabbitMQ (version
3.1.5) for the number of messages in each queue.

Normally it all works fine and the usual ways:
- REST-api's key 'messages_ready'
- management-console's 'ready'-column and
- 'rabbitmqctl list_queues'

all return the expected number of messages for each queue.
But every now and then this information is just missing for most of the
queues. It will return after some time by itself (I saw times up to one
hour, but it may be even more) but as I wrote some scripts that depend
on the REST-api, this behaviour is somewhat annoying.

Is this a known issue? I looked through the bugfix-sections of each
newer release but could not find an entry where this issue was fixed.

Best regards,
Malte.