[rabbitmq-discuss] Pressured to move to AMQP 1.0

Michael Watson mswatson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 00:15:32 BST 2014

Thanks, MK.

The main problem is one of perception.  "AMQP 1.0 is the standard.
 It's ISO/IEC 19464 and we're chartered with using industry standards."  I
can argue that 0.9.1, which has strong support from a massive community, is
the de facto standard, but "ISO/IEC" are hard TLAs to ignore.

Apache has a lot of respect internally, so Qpid is getting some strong
interest, and I haven't found any recent comparisons between RabbitMQ and
Qpid's Java or C++ implementations.

Re: The AMQP 1.0 plug-in, since we're launching creation of a large-scale
distributed platform project that needs high reliability, the fact that the
plugin still calls itself a prototype several years down the road is seen
internally as problematic.

There's some concern about 1.0's application-headers vs basic.properties
and the fact that the plugin doesn't transcode them, because we've found
those dictionaries to be useful.

MQTT is a compelling feature, thanks.