[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ, Erlang and OpenSSL

ranjitiyer ranjitiyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 20:40:06 GMT 2014

We plan to bundle RabbitMQ 3.5.3 and Erlang R16B03-1 (5.10.4) into our
product which is supported on Windows, RHEL 5/6 and SUSE 11. Because
RabbitMQ does not bundle Erlang so we are doing that ourselves. (Would
really appreciate is RabbitMQ does this (RIAK does it), because its very
painful and can hurt adoption).

For various reasons, I am choosing to compile Erlang source on each of RHEL
and SUSE platforms. When compiling on Suse11 Erlang complained that it
couldn't find OpenSSL and I stopped and asked myself

Q1. Does RabbitMQ's SSL feature depends on SSL support in Erlang?

Q2. Does that imply that the user's Suse machine (where our application,
including RabbitMQ will be deployed) must have OpenSSL installed?

Q3. I guess this relates to Q2. Does Erlang statically include OpenSSL or
dynamically link against it? I would prefer that it statically includes it
so our users don't need to install OpenSSL separately on their Suse
machines.

Thanks,
Ranjit