[rabbitmq-discuss] How to enable server side heartbeat for RabbitMQ?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jan 13 13:09:42 GMT 2014

Hi Joshua,

On 11/01/14 10:21, Joshua Lim wrote:

> To solve this problem, I thought that I may use heart beat so I added
> the following to the Javascript using stomp.js:

The web-stomp documentation explicitly lists heartbeats as a missing
feature, because they do not work with SockJS. Therefore heartbeats must
be disabled when using this client.
See http://www.rabbitmq.com/web-stomp.html

> I tried adding param to rabbitmq.config, but that didn't appear to work.
> The doc doesn't mention whether the heartbeat parameter is for client or
> server heartbeat.
>
> [
>        {rabbit, [
>                 {cluster_nodes, {['rabbit at server'], disc}},
>                  {cluster_partition_handling, autoheal},
>          {heartbeat, 1}
>         ]},

Heartbeats must be agreed upon by both parties. The broker heartbeat
configuration will be suggested during protocol negotiation, but the
broker may not insist on this value.

-Emile