[rabbitmq-discuss] Performance Observations and Interesting Behavior

Laing, Michael michael.laing at nytimes.com
Wed Feb 12 00:05:28 GMT 2014

That's interesting!

We have removed all the load balancers from our core configurations in
Amazon EC2 because we found they added no value, and, in fact provided
troublesome additional points of failure. (We do use ELBs to find websocket
endpoints in the client-facing retail layer)

Our core clusters in Oregon and Dublin each have 50 - 100 non-local
connections, randomly distributed, and are very stable.

We use DNS with health checks for internal client connections in lieu of
load balancers. Simple and rugged.

Michael Laing
NYTimes