[rabbitmq-discuss] Exchange Master failure?

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Tue Apr 22 10:10:50 BST 2014

 On 22 April 2014 at 09:57:47, Arun Rao (arunrao.seattle at gmail.com) wrote:
> > I have a 4 node cluster and exchanges are HA'ed through a policy.
> When one node (randomly chosen as Exchange master?) fails, I
> see delivery rate dropping to zero for several seconds across
> all queues in that cluster. (RabbitMQ Server version: 3.1.3)
>
> Can someone advise the logic behind Exchanges in a cluster?

Exchanges cannot be HA’ed, or rather, they always are because exchanges
are just routing tables.

Yes, queues in RabbitMQ have a master and if it fails, it take some time
to detect this and elect a new master. During this time there will be
no deliveries for that queue because master node is in charge of that.
--
MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ