[rabbitmq-discuss] Removal of the 'impersonator' tag from 3.3.0

Gotthard, Petr Petr.Gotthard at Honeywell.com
Wed Apr 2 18:11:04 BST 2014

It would be great if you could bring it back.

We need a two-way federation but have both federation clients in one broker
only. Therefore we have a (custom) federation plug-in (running in the
upstream broker) that re-publishes data to a downstream exchange. The
downstream broker validates the User-IDs, but it doesn't know this was a
federation, so to make this work we have either to:
 - modify the "user_id" in the upstream before re-publishing down-- but then
we lose the information about the actual publisher and all upstream users
will be represented by the broker username, or
 - assign the "impersonator" tag to the username used by upstream when
connecting to downstream, so it can re-publish data down on behalf of
others.

In other words, the "escaped" implementation detail was used to implement
user_id validation in upstream-controlled federations. Does it make sense?

Petr