[rabbitmq-discuss] Binding key and routing key

Michael Klishin michael at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 25 12:29:39 BST 2013

On sep 25, 2013, at 3:18 p.m., Nikita Trophimov <nikita.trophimov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Until this moment, i thought that binding key is the mask that connets several RabbitMQ objects like queues and exchanges while routing key is the one of the message headers. Am i right?

the term "binding key" is not used widely (I don't think 0-9-1 spec uses it, or any popular
clients do).

Your understanding of the two is correct but both are called routing key. A more appropriate term
for queue.bind and exchange.bind would probably be "routing pattern" but it would
not be very precise for e.g. fanout exchanges.

MK