[rabbitmq-discuss] Federated Exchange Upstream / Downstream Names

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Oct 8 09:41:12 BST 2013

On 07/10/2013 21:53, Chris wrote:
> I essentially want to federate an exchange such that the "upstream"
> exchange name is different than the exchange name that the downstream
> queues bind to.

You can set an "exchange" property on an upstream or an upstream set,
which will override the name of the upstream exchange to connect to.
It'll likely mean you need to define one upstream per downstream exchange.

I see this is not explained terribly well in the documentation. Will fix.

<snip alternate approach>

> Is this how you would recommend it?

If I understand your use case, the approach above would be simpler.

> Does this defeat RabbitMQ's smart routing?

Yes it would. Federation only takes account of routing decisions made in
the federated exchange, not any exchanges using it as a source through
e2e bindings.

Cheers, Simon