[rabbitmq-discuss] 700k msgs using 6.3 GiB?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 16 08:54:38 BST 2013

François,

On 16/05/13 05:01, François Beausoleil wrote:
> Why would the garbage not have been collected yet? Any ideas?

Garbage collectors generally don't collect garbage instantly.

However, pretty much all garbage should get collected when the system is
idle. In particular, when there is no activity on a queue, or any other
Erlang processes in the message processing pipeline, for a while then
these processes are supposed to hibernate, which entails reclaiming all
garbage.

That may not be happening in your system, i.e. either something is
preventing idling, or processes don't hibernate despite being idle.

But to investigate that further we really need you on the latest
versions of rabbit and erlang.

> I only enable the plugins I need, namely the consistent hash exchange
> and management console.

I am not suggesting that you run w/o plug-ins permanently, but in order
to eliminate potential causes of the high memory use it would help to
disable non-essential plug-ins temporarily.

Regards,

Matthias.