[rabbitmq-discuss] Guidance on Understanding API Output for Monitoring

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 15 13:46:22 BST 2013

On 13/05/13 15:12, Richard Raseley wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Primarily I would like to get absolute message count and throughput
> statistics on a specified exchange over a specified or at least known
> time period.
>
> If you look at the JSON attachment I sent it does show throughput (e.g.
> 100msg/s) but it doesn't tell me over what period that number is from.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are using < 3.1.0 - in which case the throughput is the
current instantaneous rate, and the absolute counts are for all
currently open channels (so they can go backward when a channel is closed).

In 3.1.0 this was rewritten. The absolute counts are now for all time
(well, since the statistics database started) and you can specify
sample_age and sample_incr parameters to get historical data - see

http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-management/raw-file/rabbitmq_v3_1_0/priv/www/api/index.html

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen