[rabbitmq-discuss] Regarding Federation Plugin Configuration

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 10 11:18:48 BST 2013

On 10/05/13 09:19, Jain, Punit wrote:
> I have configured two brokers in federated mode, and both are running on
> version 2.8.2(I know it’s outdated, but for some reasons I have to stick
> with it). I have configured both in bidirectional mode. You can see the
> configuration for one broker below. I am able to receive messages from
> upstream broker, but when connection between brokers is lost or if I
> close the connection deliberately, the messages are not persisted, i.e.
> the messages sent to upstream broker during that time span are lost, and
> they are not received after reestablishing the connection. How can I
> ensure that the messages are persisted on upstream exchange/queue while
> connection to federated broker is down or not established? Or is it the
> expected behavior? I will really appreciate if you can assist me in
> configuring it properly or provide some workaround.

That's not expected behaviour (unless you set the connection's 'expires'
and/or 'message_ttl' properties, in which case you get the behaviour you
asked for).

Look at the upstream broker in mgmt / rabbitmqctl. It should contain
queues with names like "federation: (exchange) -> (downstream)".
Messages should back up in these queues while links are down. Do they?

> I tried to find some documentation on federation plugin configuration
> for version 2.8.2, but I couldn’t find anything useful. If you have some
> link or document for federation plugin configuration for version 2.8.2
> or so, please paste it, I will really appreciate it.

http://previous.rabbitmq.com/v2_8_x/federation.html

Technically this is the documentation for 2.8.7, but that's only some
bug fixes away from 2.8.2.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen