[rabbitmq-discuss] View messages in queue

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 3 10:37:17 BST 2013

On 03/05/13 10:15, Ashok Anand wrote:
> 1) what should I use to go through all messages in the queue,
> currently, "./rabbitmqadmin get queue=qname requeue=true" gives only
> head. does any such interface exists currently to get list of all
> messages in the queue?

You can retrieve more than one message by supplying the "count" parameter.

I would recommend using a client library and writing the software to
accomplish your goals. For your use-case b) all the operations (message
retrieval, selective acknowledgement and requeueing) will need to be
performed on the same channel, which precludes composing a sequence with
multiple invocations of a commandline utility.

> 2) Just the re-delivery flag is set, right? so the consume should not
> assume that it is a retrial of the same message?

The consumer can't distinguish between a message that was requeued due
to exceptional circumstances (e.g. network disconnection while a message
was unacknowledged) and a message that was explicitly requeued.

-Emile