[rabbitmq-discuss] another question on cookies version 3.0.4

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 1 14:21:56 BST 2013

Hi,

On 1 May 2013, at 14:15, srd wrote:

> so my questions are:
> 1) How does one normally start the server?

Depending on the platform, either /sbin/service rabbitmq-server start or via /etc/init.d/.

> 2) my reason for wanting to do cookies is I wanted to setup a multi node cluster (different servers)
>    If I start a server (no parameters) on each server the cookie hash is different.

You need to ensure that all the cookies are the same. You can do this by placing the .erlang.cookie file in the /home/rabbitmq directory on each server.

> 3) I have looked at the clustering guide but haven't succeeded in a setup using it.  How does one normally synchronize the cookies across servers?

That's up to you - rabbit doesn't provide anything out of the box to do this.

> 4) where is the cookie file stored?   I found one on the rabbitmq user's root directory.   Is that where it is stored?

That's correct.

> 5) If I have to set a cookie value, is there a config file where it can be set (or env variable?) and what is the syntax to set it?

I would recommend just using the cookie stored in the rabbitmq user's home directory.

Cheers,
Tim