[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP, RabbitMQ and message integrity

James Gardner james.gardner at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 21 17:03:36 GMT 2013

I would appreciate some information on whether there are any guarantees
or safeguards in RabbitMQ against message corruption along the
publisher->rabbitmq->consumer chain.
Perhaps that question can largely be rephrased as what guarantees does
*AMQP* make about message integrity, although how messages are stored
and transported within RabbitMQ would surely be a part of it too.

One reason I am trying to get a feel for this is to figure out whether
the publisher needs to include a message body hash (eg. MD5) in the
header, so that a receiver can check it, or whether that would be
redundant. The concern would be about corruption due to technical
phenomena rather than malice, ie. I'm not coming at this from a security
perspective.
The topology in question would include federation links across a WAN as
well as LAN.
I haven't seen this issue addressed anywhere in the docs but if I missed
it I would be grateful if you could point me to it.
Many thanks,

James Gardner
NWS Internet Dissemination System