[rabbitmq-discuss] EC2 and Availability Zones

Bryan Murphy bmurphy1976 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 01:48:15 GMT 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM, James Carr <james.r.carr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> We've been re-architecting our infrastructure to be evenly distributed
> across availability zones and I'm curious if there are some general
> guidelines for clustering rabbitmq across availability zones. I've
> been thinking about this quite a bit and am wondering if you can
> cluster across the zones (iirc this wouldn't be a good idea due to
> network partitioning). Federation comes to mind but then each node in
> the federated cluster would get a copy of a message when only one
> consumer needs to grab it.
>
> Anyone have more experience with this?

We cluster across availability zones and haven't run into any problems
(yet).  I think federation is overkill.  You'd probably want to use
federation if you wanted to cluster across regions.  My only recommendation
is to run inside a VPC if you can that way you have control over private IP
addresses and hostnames.  That makes things a lot easier.

Bryan