[rabbitmq-discuss] Question on throughput with RabbitMQ-3.1.1

Michael Klishin michael.s.klishin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 17:20:52 BST 2013

2013/6/25 Priyanki Vashi <vashi.priyanki at gmail.com>

> What is the concept of blocking connection ?
> What difference really it will make over other type of connection ?
>
> Some theory on this would be helpful.

Blocking I/O-based connection assumes the caller blocks (waits) until the
response arrives.

With a non-blocking implementation, the caller does not wait, which means
your program can write
continuously but also that responses that arrive at a later point are
handled differently, often
forcing developers to use less familiar APIs and manage program state
differently.

Pika offers you to choose from multiple connection implementations. Michael
suggests you to start with the most straightforward one and when you have
that working,
switch to a non-blocking implementation (e.g. Tornado-based) which often
yields higher
throughput.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_I/O
http://www.sal.ksu.edu/faculty/tim/ossg/Device/blocking.html