[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Consumer timeout

antony antony.pulicken at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 12:56:53 BST 2013

Hi,

This is my scenario:

I have multiple instances of listeners waiting on different temp queues. In
some of the cases, there won't be any messages published to these temp
queues and I want these listeners to timeout so that it can free up the
connections.

I guess in Java, we can achieve this by using the overloaded method in the
QueueingConsumer class that takes timeout as a parameter as shown below:

/QueueingConsumer.Delivery delivery = null;
long timeout = 2 * 60 * 1000; // 2 minutes in milliseconds
delivery = queuingConsumer.nextDelivery(*timeout*);
if (delivery == null) {
  // shut down your consumer here - no events arrived
  // before the timeout was reached
}
else {
  // process the delivered message here
}/

1) Does RabbitMQ C client also has a similar feature ?

2) Are there better approaches to handle this timeouts ?

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
Antony.